Sunday, August 24, 2008

Tired

At the hospital
  • Rachel didn't sleep much last night, and seemed tired all day. She was happy to see visitors, but just dozed off when she felt like it. I think it's a combination of her fever (103 yesterday) and her still generally waking up.
  • The night-shift nurse reported that when combing Rachel's hair this morning some clumps started to come out. Rach was awake for this discussion, and semi-consciously touched her hair for the rest of the day. It's the least of her worries, but still...
  • I don't think I've shared how she's the current ICU "nurses' pet". The ICU patients are almost all either elderly or post-surgical, and typically stay for 1-2 days. I'm sure everyone gets great care there, but some combination of Rachel's youth, family, friends, sudden onset, prospects for recovery, ICU duration, etc. has touched the nursing staff. One of the day-shift nurses told me last week that she'd be "back tomorrow, but Cheryl [who's more senior] will probably pull rank and get Rachel". It's nice to be wanted.
  • The key treatment question right now seems to be whether she's got epithelial ovarian cancer or germ cell carcinoma; it's still not known, and part of why the pathologist at U. of Chicago is being consulted. I'll leave you to do your own research; suffice it to say the chemo regimens are different, and there are some interesting possibilities with germ cell cancer (think "Lance Armstrong").

At home

  • Lots of family visiting today -- the Wildwood Harrigans (Ed, Sharon, and kids), Grandpa up from Florida, Maura in from Naperville, the Valpo crew, and Rob back from Michigan. Along with Kathy and Sheila, of course.
  • The St. A's back-to-school ice cream social was fun this afternoon. There's something energizing about the start of school, especially if you're not the one who will have homework soon.

Pat

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Pat,
I was with Kevin Conway over the weekend and learned of Rachel's situation. Please know that she is in Nancy and my thoughts and we really hope that this somehow works out to the best. Please pass on our thoughts and hopes to Rachel.

Regards,
Carl Tatsuguchi

Anonymous said...

Pat,

Although it's been close to 12 years since we've seen each other, the impact of the experience that you've described through this blog touches me like I just saw you yesterday. As some others have noted, your ability to find the positive, hopeful and even humorous elements are surely a blessing to Rachel, your kids, and the rest of the people who obviously care for you so much. My thoughts and prayers are with you. (I think you'll take Lutheran prayers too!)