At the hospital: Grave condition
- Rachel really took a turn for the worse last night/this morning.
- Her bilirubin went up to 11, and only came down to 7; there are a number of possible causes, but the most likely at this point is that the cancer has spread to her liver.
- Her urine output dropped to nothing, indicating kidney failure. Again, a number of possible causes, with spread of cancer to the kidneys being a key possibility.
- Her belly filled back up with fluid -- they drained another ¾ gallon this morning.
- And her breathing became very labored, so they put her on a ventilator.
- All told, this is what they call “multi-organ system failure”, which is as bad as it sounds.
- Everyone is in shock at how quickly this has progressed; she just checked in and was diagnosed 8 days ago. I felt a little morbid about researching 5-year survival rates for ovarian cancer earlier, and now 5 years seems like an eternity.
- They started chemo this afternoon, with the one hope being that attacking the tumors will allow her organs to rally.
- Rachel’s family is here with me, which is very helpful.
- Father Tom came by this afternoon, and was a great comfort. He also gave Rachel last rites (Anointing of the Sick).
- Now we wait and hope -- there’s still hope, although I’m starting to make my peace with this.
At home
- Many of Rachel’s friends joined us at 8am Mass today, and we had a small prayer session afterward. We blessed a blanket that I then brought to the hospital, and it’s now keeping her feet warm.
- I brought the kids to the hospital this morning, just before Rachel went on the ventilator. She saw and acknowledged them, and squeezed their hands.
- The kids are now at the Finamores, and doing OK. I stopped by this afternoon to give them the update -- trying to balance preparing them for what’s probably coming (Mom’s not coming home) against what an 8, 10, or 12 year old should have to hear. Today was as clear as I’ve been with them, but it still doesn’t seem to register -- maybe denial is their defense mechanism for now. I’m a little envious.
- One other note: so many of you have offered to help that it’s overwhelming. I believe Evan Finamore is going to coordinate this for us, unless the gang decided otherwise this morning. You can reach her at e_cfinamore@email.msn.com, or 847-563-8554, or 847-217-2117.
Thanks yet again for all of your thoughts, prayers, and support. We’re going to need even more going forward.
Pat
15 comments:
So difficult to understand, Paddy, and so hard to believe. Too much for all of us. God be with you and Rachel and the kids.
I know you, and I know that you will stand tall and do your duty, no matter how difficult and taxing.
Love,
Dad
Dear Pat,
Nancy Hoopes called me this evening to tell me of Rachel's condition. I am deeply saddened by the news. I will be praying for Rachel, and You, and your precious children. Please tell Rachel that I Love Her.
Hang in there, Pat.
With much love,
Judy Amlie, formerly Judy Litzow
Newton MA jamlie@comcast.net
Pat,
Please know that our thought and prayers will be with you now and always. This wonderful community that we have will pull you all through.
Love,
Bill and Heather Andersen
Pat -- Just heard the news. We are praying for Rachel and your family.
Nina Vinik and Ross Bricker
Ed sent me your link and asked me to pray. I will pray for Rachel and your family, and also passed on a request to the prayer circle at my old parish in Iowa. May God be with you and your family!
Love in Christ, Angelika Hunt
Dear Pat,
W're so sorry you, Rachel and the kids are going through this. All of St. A's is behind you and praying for you.
God bless,
Maureen and Mark Rosati
Hi Patrick, I wanted you to know that I'm praying for you and your family.
Aunt Sheila has kept me in the know about Rachel. Our prayers are with you and with your entire family during this trying time. We are all praying hard for you here in Minnesota. May God bless you and yours. Thank you also for creating this site for all to be kept abreast of what's going on.
Your Cousin, Eileen (Novack) Wolf
You are all in our prayers out here in the west, Pat. All our Love & Aloha, The Pietsch's
Dear Patrick:
Thank you for sharing the BLOG with us. My heart goes out to you and your family. Words can't even describe what I feel; it hurts to even think what you must be going through.
We are all thinking of you and our thoughts and prayers are with you all the time.
May Almightly continue to give you strength in this difficult time.
Sinder
Dear Patrick
My heart goes out to you and your family. I can only hope and pray that things turn out for the best. Please know that you will be in my prayers. Stay strong and keep the faith.
Carol Matos
Dear Pat,
You and your family are in my prayers. May He provide you, Rachel and your childern with patience, understanding, peace and comfort. Amen.
Best Wishes,
Shan Rahman
The Canafax family is praying for all of you - We are so sorry - Rachel is a beautiful person.
Eileen, Eric & the kids
Pat, you, Rachel and the kids are in my prayers. I pray, too. for Rachel's Mom and sisters. This whole course of events is shocking.
There are no answers now why God's plan is what it is. It is said that God will never give a person more than can be handled.
I know you and yours will pull through this.
Love and Prayers,
Aunt Sheila
Pat--Thanks for taking the time to keep those of us who love Rachel in the loop. I was feeling so good about being out of email touch over our vacation Aug 6-16 and now it doesn't seem so lovely to have been out of touch whith all of you. The rapidity of it all is just shocking. Is this a common course of events with ovarian cancer? Ian and Merrill would love to have your kids over and we'll coordinate with Evan. I'm glad to hear that the care Rachel is getting meets your expectations. If Rachel can have additional hand holders and hair strokers please let us know. All of you are in our thoughts and prayers all of the time. love, Jennifer & Danny O'Shaughnessy
Post a Comment