At the hospital
- More struggles with pain vs. agitation vs. blood pressure. On good days in the past week she's been 85% resting, 15% agitated. Today was close to the reverse. Her ICU doc has added another pain med (Fentanyl patch) and an agitation medication (Haldol) to her regimen, to try to give her some relief.
- Dialysis today for about 6 hours.
- Elevated white blood cell count -- per her oncologist this is probably a result of infection, not a continued effect of the Neulasta drug.
- She got a CT scan this morning - head/chest/abdomen/pelvis, using contrast agent. A group of her doctors shared the results with me about 4pm, that group now including a neurologic oncologist and a social worker. Her head CT showed something in her cerebellum about the size of a grape -- it was just a smudge on her non-contrast head CT last Sunday (8/10), but pretty distinct this time. Most likely diagnosis: a tumor, metastasized from her ovarian cancer.
- There were also spots apparent in her liver, with the same likely diagnosis.
- The discussion was a little surreal. The doctors were very professional and supportive, but they did start to describe the main options going forward: continued aggressive approach, including potential brain surgery and radiation if she can tolerate it, vs. (direct quote) "letting her go". It was very clear that this is not an immediate decision, but they wanted to make sure I had started thinking about this. I had.
- The kids visited her just after. Rachel was at the right level of sedation (thank you, Nurse Cheryl), and it was all pretty good. We did have a brief continuation of the "Mom may not get better" talk we first had on 8/10.
- Aunt Kathy took Fiona to the Barnes and Noble at Old Orchard tonight, at my urging. There is a reading/book signing by Danica McKellar (formerly "Winnie" on "The Wonder Years"), who went on from acting to get a degree in math from UCLA and to write a couple of books encouraging middle school girls to embrace math. I'm hoping to reconcile Fi's "I Hate Math" attitude with her high very aptitude -- maybe Danica's "Kiss My Math" book will help.
11 comments:
Pat,
So sad to hear of the CT scan results. God will be with you all through this difficult time, & will guide you through whatever decisions there are to be made. Love that in spite of everything you are facing these days, you are concerned about Fiona's attitude towards math. Take care, Chris and Ray
Pat,
You know I read the report every day, think of all of you and pray consistently for you and your family, and of course for Rachel, for peace, for freedom from pain - physical and otherwise. Obviously all of you are very, very strong and brave. But you know that I know how hard your journey is, now and for the future, regardless of the outcomes. I'm glad that you feel she is in good hands at the hospital, because she is. And I hope for you that the support from family, friends, and neighbors feels helpful at least some of the time. Hugs from across the alley,
Maribeth
Pat -Thinking about you all of the time...I am blown away by your honesty and candidness every moment...! I love my girl.....this has been a huge journey for us all! We are there for you and the family...I know you know ~
Amy & Mark
Pat and family,
I am a friend of Sheila, Rachel’s niece. I can’t tell you how wonderful it has been hearing stories about You, Rachel, the kids and Elvis over the years.
I know you and your family are surrounded by a loving, strong circle of family and friends. Please also know we are praying and sending healing energy to you and your family.
Robin McDonald
Pat - Know that friends near and far, recent and not so recent, have Rachel, you and your children in their prayers. I wish you peace and strength to carry on and accept God's will, whatever that may be. Take care, Madeleine Wilson
Pat, as ever, we are praying for you daily and are at the ready to do whatever you need, just let us know.
Ed, Sharon, Grace, TJ, Peter, Joseph
Dear Pat,
I'm Fran's sister-in-law Pam, living in Michigan. Along with others in her extended family, we are making prayerful requests for you and your children especially, to have continuing strength and courage to endure.
Pam Sroufe
Pat, thank you so much for keeping us informed... I'm just another Realtor out there in the community of Realtors, who is concerned about Rachel's condition, and yet doesn't want to call and intrude on your situation.
Your blog is so helpful.
Our prayers & best wishes are with you guys... just know that the entire North Shore Real Estate community is thinking of you and your family.
btw... I forgot to mention in my earlier comment...
"just another Realtor, who respects & likes Rachel."
Dear Pat,
I cannot say it better than Madeleine Wilson, your friends near and far and from a long time ago, are thinking of you and praying for you, Rachel and your family. Kelly Glivar
Pat,
Stay strong. We are all with you.
The Betz Family
Post a Comment