Monday, August 11, 2008

A Quiet Night and Day, Thankfully

At the hospital
  • By last evening they got Rachel to a pretty good steady state (heart rate, BP, breathing), and she has pretty much stayed there since.
  • She's off of the Ativan, and they reduced the morphine, to try to bring her to a more wakeful state. She's stirring more, but not really responsive. The concern with trying too hard to wake her is having her experience a lot of pain, so they'll proceed cautiously.
  • Her ICU doc today was a little less willing to associate the liver/kidney issues with the spread of cancer -- there are a lot of possible causes to what's been observed. I understand why they don't like to speculate, as I hang on and interpret everything they say.
  • When will we know if the chemo is working? It depends, of course, but I'm told 1-2 weeks is a reasonable expectation. One indicator will be the rate of accumulation of fluid in her abdomen.
  • They're removing more belly fluid right now. I'm not sure if I prefer the medical term, paracentesis, or their nickname for it, "tapping".
  • No other significant news.

At home

  • The kids spent the night and day at the Finamores, and they're home now. Rachel's sister Kathy is going to stay with us for a while and help watch them, although they'll get their share of playdates for the next couple of weeks, I think.

Pat

9 comments:

Judy B said...

Dear Harrigan's!

As you know, your St. A's community is behind you in prayer, support and anything else you need! I had the pleasure of talking with Evan today and she is totally focused on your needs. How great are good friends!! Please give Rachel our love!! All of us are just a phone call away!

Judy Berg

Anonymous said...

You are all very much in our thoughts at work and many prayers and hopes are are going out for Rachel, as well as thankfulness for the progress of a quiet night and day. Pat L

Anonymous said...

Along with the rest of the St. A's community, we are sending all our thoughts and prayers to you and Rachel and the whole family. We pray that the support of friends and family will get you through this time.
All our love,
Joan Johnson and family

Anonymous said...

Pat and Family,
Thinking of you and sending a strong hug to give you support and strenght as the issues / challenges unfold. One thing I know from working with Rachel, she is a fighter and right now, we are all on her team!
Love, Kathy and Dennis O'Malley and Family.

Anonymous said...

Pat,

We're missing you here at Takeda but don't want to see you until Rachel is home. Hang in there and know there are quite a few people here praying for her recovery and your peace of mind. Janette

Anonymous said...

Dear Pat,

Our spirits were lifted reading today's blog - we hope yours were too. You, Rachel, your darling children and your entire extended family are in our thoughts and prayers.


With much hope,
Claudia & Jeff Crouch

Anonymous said...

Pat,

I admire your courage and strength. Keep the faith. The Bretlands, Powers and Bulfs are sending all the positive energy we can to all of you.

- Dan Bulf

Anonymous said...

Dear Pat,

We are back in town and heard the very shocking news about Rachel. Our thoughts , love and prayer are with all of you ~

Love, Amy & Mark Knepper

Anonymous said...

Dear Pat,
We are completely humbled at this moment. No words can describe the sadness in our hearts. It is completely incomprehensible...and yet reminds us of the fragiltiy of life. We are holding each of you in our prayers and asking for courage and perhaps a peaceful understanding. As I walk the beaches of the Outerbanks this morning, I am reminded of the prayer "Footprints in the Sand". It is times like this that we must allow our Christ to carry us!!
May God give you the strength to endure this painful walk!!
In heartfelt prayers,
The Carlin family
Juli, Mike, Michael,Connor, Jack $ Braden