- A pretty uneventful day -- still tweaking the pain meds/sedation to find an optimal level. Some good rest, but several periods of pain/agitation. One hitch today is that when we were at what seemed like a good combo of Ativan/Dilaudid, her blood pressure dropped pretty low (67/27). Yet another part of the balancing act.
- A little bit of good news: when they do paracentesis they test the fluid removed for "cell count", and that has been decreasing since her chemo session last Sunday. That's a potential sign that the chemo's doing what it's supposed to (the cells in question are presumed to be malignant).
At home
- Fi went over to Clare Glavin's this afternoon for a little while.
- My brother Rob went home today -- it was a big help having him here.
- All the kids are spending the night at the Giellas.
- One thing I forgot to mention about yesterday's kid visit to the hospital: Conor got antsy after a few minutes in Rachel's room, and wanted to go back to the ICU lounge. I told him that was fine, but also that that was it -- he couldn't just come and go as he pleased. He said "Gee, Dad, that's a great way to treat a kid who's mom has cancer!" I made it pretty clear to him that playing the "Cancer Card" wasn't going to get him anywhere with me. As we go forward I'm hoping it doesn't get him anwhere with any of you, either -- I'm pretty sure that's not in his best interest. (I'd be surprised to hear this from Fiona or Emmet.)
Pat
4 comments:
Pat,
Connie Webber Hirth called and informed me of the news about Rachel. As you can imagine, the Meilner family is in shock. I am so appreciative that you have posted the "Rachie Report". Please know that our thoughts and prayers are with you at this difficult time. Please give Rachel a big huge from us and tell her to use her "Kappa" spirit to fight this. Love, Jane & John Meilner XOXOXO
I had a wonderful dream in which Rachel sauntered into a room full of people and turned and said "I'm fine". She looked wonderful and healthy and was totally herself.
I have always admired her and envied her, and wished I could have had her confidence, and zest for life. She is my little sister, and I will not imagine her not being here. She is a fighter and will without a doubt win this enormous fight.
Love you, Rachel.
Marilyn
Pat,
I've been imagining a battle with the chemo zapping the bad guys and praying those cell counts go ever lower. Also praying for your continued strength and prays of thanks that Dell was sent to Rachel. Pat L.
Pat,
I am Julie Houp's MOM.
I think it is wonderful that you are using this method of putting your most intimate thougts down and journeling about this most stressful, hurtful time in your life.
Be assured I have put Rachael on the most powerful prayer chain that I am apart of in California. I live in MN.
You have the right idea in dealing with the kids.
Katy Goethals
Post a Comment