- Rachel had another CT scan today, and it showed she has a severe case of pneumonia. Whether this is the e. Coli and/or another bug is unknown -- but it's the probable cause of her fever, and is now also causing her labored breathing and decreased blood oxygen content (even with the ventilator).
- Her white cell count is down to 0.2, so her ability to fight off an infection is minimal. Antibiotics can help your immune system, but not substitute for it. They added a couple of antibiotics to try to fight the pneumonia anyway (amikacin and amphotericin).
- The doctor from Infectious Diseases who showed me the CT scans and explained the implications was very sympathetic, and pretty clear about the prognosis: "days, not weeks". Note also that we haven't seen any indication of chemo having a positive effect on the underlying disease, and in fact the CT showed some further organ deterioration in the abdomen. Joining us for this discussion was nurse Cheryl, one of the ICU mainstays; it was the first time I'd seen any of the medical staff cry.
- Dialysis this afternoon, aided by drugs to raise her blood pressure.
- I took the kids to see her again tonight, having explained the latest turn of events. Not much reaction from them -- it still doesn't seem "real", I think.
Where do we all go from here? I think it's OK to still hope and pray for a miracle, while expecting something less. I was reminded today of Mark 14:35-6: "He advanced a little and fell to the ground and prayed that if it were possible the hour might pass by him; he said, 'Abba, Father, all things are possible to you. Take this cup away from me, but not what I will but what you will.'"
Pat
20 comments:
Dear Pat and Family,
You are in our thoughts, and those of your many other friends, every day.
The Rosatis
May God grant you continued strength, and give you the grace to handle whatever may be a head.
blessings,
The Schwartz Family
Maplewood NJ
Pat
My thoughts are with you and your family. I contiue to hope and pray that things will turn around.
Sincerely
Laura Leonard (Lala)
Pat,
You are an amazingly brave and honorable man. Your knowledge that God is with you is THE peace in this agonizing time. There is a strong circle of loving arms surrounding all of you.
A friend of Nancy H. who has joined your blog and come to care deeply for each of you. Sheryl
May you find peace and comfort knowing that you have an amazing support system.
God be with you.
Pam Kendall
Pat - We are friends of Maura's and Dan's and have continually prayed for Rachel, you & your children since your received this sorrowful news. We will intensify our prayers this week.
Peace,
Kathy & MIke Aabram
Pat,
May God be with you, Rachel and your family in your time of need. It seems like yesterday when Carol and I went to your wedding. We read your updates often, and continue to pray for a miracle. God bless you and keep you.
The Holyszko's
Dear Pat: we're with you in prayer, and so are our friends and the entire congregation of our church. God bless Rachel, you and the kids and give you comfort and strength during this time of trial.
Much love,
Tim, Stacie, Ben and Katie Crozier
Pat & Family, our continued thoughts and prayers. The Pietschs
Dear Pat,
We join your friends and family in praying that your strong faith and your love for each other will continue to sustain you, even in these darkest hours.
Tony and Meg (in Maplewood)
Pat -- this is a favorite of mine in trying times. Hang in there. - Vince Sweeney
"One night I dreamed a dream.
I was walking along the beach with my Lord. Across the dark sky flashed scenes from my life. For each scene, I noticed two sets of footprints in the sand, one belonging to me and one to my Lord.
When the last scene of my life shot before me I looked back at the footprints in the sand. There was only one set of footprints. I realized that this was at the lowest and saddest times of my life. This always bothered me and I questioned the Lord about my dilemma.
"Lord, You told me when I decided to follow You, You would walk and talk with me all the way. But I'm aware that during the most troublesome times of my life there is only one set of footprints. I just don't understand why, when I need You most, You leave me."
He whispered, "My precious child, I love you and will never leave you, never, ever, during your trials and testings. When you saw only one set of footprints, It was then that I carried you."
God Bless Rachel, you and your family.
We are praying for all of you every day, the Speidels
Pat,
We recently learned of Rachel's fight and have been reading the blog. We too will keep the Harrigan family in our daily thoughts and prayers.
The Baginskis
Dear Pat,
My continued thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
A.J. Leonard
Pat,
Maura's friend from St. Mary's here(Lake Forrest - grammar school). I just learned of what is happening and I am so sorry for your family. You are, and will remain, in my thoughts and prayers. God bless you all.
Christine (Blazina) Dickson
Dear Pat and Family,
Thank you for your generosity in sharing this blog with all its hope, pain, faith, and love. Please know of my prayers each day and evening for dear Rachel and for all of you who surround her with love and care. May you be given the strength to walk with the spirit of the verse you so powerfully share with us ... hoping for a miracle while expecting something less.
With prayer and gratitude for your sharing,
Juliet Gentzkow
Pat,
You are in our hearts and our thoughts.
Elisa & Art
Dear Pat,
We continue to hope and pray for Rachel and your family. May you find the continued strength to guide your family through this time. Our thoughts are with you.
The Kirkpatricks
Am continuing to pray with you, your family and friends, that God will provide strength and peace.
Deb M
You are such an inspiration to all of us, Pat. All we can do is continue to pray for you and your family. There are sooooooo many people that extend there love to you and pray you feel our arms wrapped around you. With love, Bunny Furlin
Post a Comment