- The kids lazed around the house today for the most part, and then Fi went for a sleepover at Maddy's. I'm sending them all to school tomorrow for the sake of continuity/routine.
- Sheila and Kathy have been working with me all day on a variety of things -- clothes for Rachel, a picture slideshow for the visitation, designing/writing the prayer cards and Mass booklets, hoteling the out-of-towners, etc. It's really good to be busy.
- It's sounding like there will be a big crowd on Friday -- school has been canceled, and we'll have friends old and new from all sorts of places.
- I visited several cemeteries this morning, and chose Calvary Cemetery in Evanston. It's the one right on the border of Evanston and Chicago, on Sheridan Road. From there you can see the two towns where Rachel lived for the last 24 years, and Lake Michigan, of course. I reserved two plots, one of which I hope not to use for a good long time.
Here's a funny cemetery story (!) to close with: Right next to those plots I noticed eight grave markers which were identical in design, but with different names and wildly different dates of death (early 1900's to 2008). I asked the cemetery clerk what the story was, and he said an eccentric old guy came in last year and bought eight plots at once. He then proceeded to unload seven containers of ashes from the trunk of his car, including those of his recently-deceased wife. He ordered all the markers and closed the deal, in a timely manner -- he joined them earlier this summer. (I did wonder what else was in his house...)
Pat
5 comments:
Dear Pat:
You have been a tower of strength through this entire ordeal. We believed Rachel would survive, would get her miracle, and everything would go on as normal, that it would be a blip in her life. How can this be? She is my little sister. And far more accomplished than the rest of us put together (forgive me sisters, but I know you agree). If "in time, all will be revealed" is true, what do we do in the meantime? Why her? What are the answers? I take comfort in the thought that Rachel, Jeff and Dad are all together now. And maybe having a really good time!
With love,
Marilyn
Pat,
I am so sorry to hear about Rachel. I can't imagine how that feels for all of you and will keep you all in my prayers.
Take care,
Kathy Georgen
Pat-
I am Rob's (Kathy's husband) cousin from Michigan. I had the privilege, along with my sister and her husband, of meeting you, Rachel and your adorable kids at Kathy and Rob's rehearsal dinner at your beautiful home.
Since we were the first to arrive, you guys all kept us entertained by telling us all of the things you had done to the house. Fiona showed us her American Girl dolls. Coner and Emmet showed us their "cool" bedrooms.
We will not be physically present at the funeral but please know that all of you will be in our thoughts and prayers.
Rose & Fred Kagarise
Jim & Diane Bramham
JoAnne & Brian Chidsey
Pat,
I am so sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers continue to be with you and your family.
Pax vobiscum,
Jeanna
You are correct in that we were all concerned about Rachel and looked forward to the Rachie Report for news each evening. You say there will only be a few more entries. However, you now have a village interested in how you and the kids are doing. I guess you might just have to post, perhaps, monthly to wean us.
Kindest regards,
Elaine and Al Kraatz, Skokie, Illinois
Post a Comment